Inspiration from Artists Wk 109 : Still Life and Abstract Paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 5
Thank you for the information Marjorie I will have a look at his work and information about him as well.  Why I like this series of threads I’d that someone always offers more information about the artists , learning from each other is so important it also cuts down the endless searching when someone heads you in the right direction.
But was Malevich's 'Black Square' that original? Alphonse Allais painted (or rather didn't paint) 'First Communion of Anaemic Young Girls in the Snow', 1883, (I saw a 'copy' in the Royal Academy's 1979 Post Impressionism Exhibition , which had a different aspect ratio to the on-line version I found below.  Sadly(?) the Post Impressionism book/catalogue only has a monochrome image).  He followed it up with 'Apoplectic Cardinals Harvesting Tomatoes on the Shores of the Red Sea' (Study of the Aurora Borealis).   He is also credited with 'Great Sorrows Are Silent (Incoherent Funeral March)' which was reported as being of unknown format.  One is tempted to think it was a forerunner of the 'Black Square', although it not may not have been black.  A more contemporary internet search brings up 'Negroes Fighting in a Tunnel By Night, dated to 1884.
First thought here Tony was that it was an April Fool joke….but that’s past and gone.
You're seeing the Malevich Black Square in nothing like the condition in which he painted it.  That's what you get from using Ivory Black straight to the canvas without a touch of another colour added to it.  (Pre-) revolutionary it might have been, but it still suffered from the age-old problems with oil paint if you don't take enormous care with substrate and pigment.  I suppose one could find that ironic....
Another admirer of Shirley Trevena here.  Denis Spicer can be found on Facebook.   Still life has to be my least favourite genre - but it is a very good way to learn about tone, volumes, and perspective. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 01/04/2024 13:09:20
And another admirer of Shirley Trevena, love her work, have bought one of her books, which seem to be hard to find here. Always wish I'd bought the first one before it became unavailable.  Only just caught up with this thread for some reason but wanted to say I really liked a lot of these paintings, more so those that looked more contemporary and "like a painting" rather than a photograph. Alan's a good example. I'll now move on to the abstracts.

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

I personally like the more "accessible" abstract artists, and find that either I'll have an emotional response to the shapes, colours etc or I don't. I have books by both Jane Davies (very helpful to work from) and Helen Kaminsky. Dalene Meiring is a New Zealand artist whose work I saw at a recent exhibition. I love her semi-abstract landscapes, I hope it is all right to include a couple as they are not pure abstract. But I do find that "abstract" can be a continuum.  Helen Kaminsky . Jane Davies:
Dalene Meiring: Colours in the storm: Sunrise:
Finally, Paul Bailey, another artist painting semi-abstract landscapes. I would recommend his book to anyone who might like to try their hand at similar.
Apologies for the variety in sizes. My computer skills are not up to re-sizing them.
I like some of the semi abstract work , it sits between the two and for some reason I feel more comfortable with it probably because I have something conventional to hang on too. 
Finally, Paul Bailey, another artist painting semi-abstract landscapes. I would recommend his book to anyone who might like to try their hand at similar.
Sandra Kennedy on 03/04/2024 21:36:54
Sandra Kennedy on 03/04/2024 21:36:54
Showing page 3 of 5