Inspiration from Artists Wk114 Featuring Artists : Peter Greenham and David Gentleman .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Welcome to this weeks thread we are now into our 114th week , the featuring artists this week are : Peter Greenham and David Gentleman. I will open the week with an introduction to Peter Greenham and on Wednesday Andrew will  introduced us to his chosen artist David Gentleman. Peter Greenham 1909- 1992 was a British artist and teacher , who was educated at Dulwich College and won a scholarship to read history at Oxford although he read English. He studied at Byam  Shaw School of Drawing and Painting 1935 - 1939 under Ernest Jackson . He then became a schoolmaster in Oxford but continued to paint . Peter was married to the artist Jane Dowling who died in 2023. I hope you enjoy my selection of his work , though he painted many portraits he also produced some very nice landscape I have included a cross section of his work. The last painting is of his wife Jane and their daughter I believe.
Ah - you're now into two great contemporary British painters!  I await, thirstily, further examples of their work.  
A few more of his paintings.
Is it just me, or do others find his palette rather dull and neutral?  I have looked on-line to find something more colourful, and the nearest I came was this.  I can't say that it moves me very much.  Is there no sunshine where he lives?
I agree with Tony, it all seems rather murky. 
I’m afraid I also agree with Tony, and Andrew.
Make that Four as I thought from thee first of his paintings I viewed that his pallet was rather dull infancy it’s quite drab. 
I have to agree with the 'dull' comments I'm afraid.
Well, I thought much the same, then looked a little further and decided I quite like some of them, and the delicacy of his style. I found these ( I looked unsuccessfully to find something with sunlight for Tony!). They are certainly different.
I particularly like that last one of an interior! Reminds me somewhat of the late Bernard Dunstan’s work!
Mmmn, a bit too subdued for me, bordering on….well I’ll keep that to myself.
I don't agree with the majority of these comments at all, in any way.  It's true that if you're looking for startlingly bright colour, or for that matter major tonal contrasts, you're not going to find it in these paintings; but then - personally, I don't look for those things, particularly; I think colour these days is frequently garishly overdone, and tonal contrast - take a look outside: do you find a lot of tonal contrast?  These are conventions we've been led to expect - and with good reason, they all help to achieve balance and impact in paintings; but now and then, their absence is a strength in itself. Given photography tends to work only in such terms - or you end up with a bland mush - I think we may be conditioned to expect the same in paintings; the quiet and subdued doesn't suit those expectations, but that's why I prefer it.  But then - your view is just as valid as mine - and vice versa, mind! - and I'm an admirer of Corot; which probably explains my preferences.  
Showing page 1 of 3